Wednesday 29 May 2013

Lots of creative evenings, one sore hand and one hour’s wages later, and all my hand painted post cards are finished and in the post! My postcards are being sent all over the world from Hawaii to England, from Spain to America. I really hope they brighten your day, and who knows one day I may become famous (I wish!!) so treasure it… just in case. I am really looking forward to some replies.

Hand painted postcards - all written and in the post!
My birthday is fast approaching and over the last few days I have come home to an air mail package each day; it is the best feeling ever! I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends and family. So if anyone fancies sending a little note or even stretch those pennies to buy an English chocolate bar (milkyway, terry’s chocolate orange, kinder beuno) I would love you forever. 

Japans most iconic image sits right on my door step, the now dormant volcano is a spectacular sight to wake-up to every morning. I was treated to a wonderful day out last week with Sumie-san and Noriko-san around Fuji Go-Ko (Fuji Five Lakes) and Shibazakura. To start off our girl’s day, I was treated to a delicious brunch at a local bakery; I had a delightful slice of pizza followed by a blueberry and cream cheese pastry. It really reminded me of home as James likes to eat at least 4 pastries a day!! We then stopped off to say hello to Sumie-sans late father and mother. Both lived well into their 90s, and before they passed away they asked Sumie-san to always pop by when the flowers are in full bloom, so we did just that! This is a picture of the flowers in full bloom nearby the cemetery.

As we headed towards Fuji Go-Ko, our travels took us through Aokigahara, also known as the sea of trees or suicide forest. It’s a 35 kilometre forest that lies at the North West base of Mt Fuji. It is a very dense forest and as a result many people get lost in this forest, it is very difficult to get out as you lose all sense of direction and complicating matters further is the common experience of compasses being rendered useless by the rich deposits of magnetic iron in the areas volcanic soil. Why people commit suicide there is unknown, many unravel tape so that others might recover the bodies, some change their minds, however, and use the tape to navigate themselves back out of the dense forest. From its parameters it seems like such a beautiful vast forest, but it hides a rather haunting history. Although we only briefly passed through if you know the history of this forest it sends shivers down your spine.  

The Fuji Go-ko region is a post-card like area around Japans northern foothills; its lakes act as natural reflecting pools for the mountains perfect cone. The largest of the lakes is Yamanaka-ko, followed by Kawaguchi-ko, Sai-ko, Shoji-ko (the smallest) and Motosu-ko (the deepest). Whilst on our way to the Shibazakura festival, we did a whistle stop tour of the lakes, they were beautiful and they make a great overnight trip, for leisurely strolling, hiking and relaxing. I plan on exploring the lakes before climbing up Mt Fuji in July so I will give some more detail on the lakes later on in the year. 


You may have seen many picture perfect postcard photos where a snow capped Mt Fuji is framed by a lush carpet of red, pink and purple shibazakura or moss pink as far as the eye can see. If you are looking for a destination to enjoy the beautiful spring scenes, one of the best spots to view shibazakura is located near Lake Motosu at the foot of Mt Fuji. Fuji Shibazakura Matsuri is currently held at the Fuji Motosuko Resort in Fujikawaguchiko-town, Yamanashi until June 2nd 2013. The best time to visit it is usually mid-April when the flowers are in full bloom. 

Whilst enjoying the beautiful surroundings, you can tuck into some traditional delicacies. Some famous local dishes from the area are Yoshida udon (a thick and firm noodle based dish, in a broth with cabbage) and Fujinomiya yajishoba (noodles cooked on a hot plate and served with cabbage and pork) both are healthy, tasty, hearty and simple. I tried both and they were delicious. For something sweet, try sakura-flavoured roll cake or shibazakura manju both are very popular treats. Wash it all down with a glass of pure spring water from Mt Fuji, which is known for its healing qualities and purity. 

Entrance is 500 Yen, and many shuttle buses run from local train’s stations including Kawaguchiko sation and Shinjuko station. I have painted this scene for many of my postcards and its definitely worth a day out to.

Last weekend I went to Disney, so lookout for my next post about Disney Sea Tokyo!
I hope all my British readers had a great bank holiday weekend,
Marion

No comments:

Post a Comment